The news about accumulated contaminated water at F1 surpassing nearly
one million tons, including tritium and other numerous newly revealed
radio-active elements like strontium and plutonium is shocking.
The relevant article of Associated Press is attached below.
The belated timing of the announcement by the Tepco is considered as not acceptable..
We are reminded that the responsibility of the nuclear safety is assumed by nobody in Japan.
The following strong message has reached me, sent from a member of the Board of IPPNW Switzerland
“It is an absolutely horrible development and an enormous future threat
if containments should ever fail or some irresponsible decision makers
should decide to dump the stored radioactive fuel mix it into the
We from IPPNW must raise our voices over the ongoing nuclearisation in
Japan, the lasting serious nuclear threats and the ongoing very
difficult cleanup measures, threatening todays and the future regional
The scandalous handling by the TEPCO of the contaminated water
accumulated at the F1 will certainly enliven the ongoing campaign “2020
Radioactive Tokyo Olympic” of the IPPNW~Germany.
Former Ambassador to Switzerland
Water stored at Fukushima
nuclear plant still radioactive
By Mari Yamaguchi, Associated Press via The Toronto Star, September 28, 2018
TOKYO—The operator of Japan’s wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant said
Friday that much of the radioactive water stored at the plant isn’t
clean enough and needs further treatment if it is to be released into
Tokyo Electric Power Co. and the government had said that treatment of
the water had removed all radioactive elements except tritium, which
experts say is safe in small amounts.
They called it “tritium water,” but it actually wasn’t.
TEPCO said Friday that studies found the water still contains other
elements, including radioactive iodine, cesium and strontium. It said
more than 80 per cent of the 900,000 tons of water stored in large,
densely packed tanks contains radioactivity exceeding limits for
release into the environment.
TEPCO general manager Junichi Matsumoto said radioactive elements
remained, especially earlier in the crisis when plant workers had to
deal with large amounts of contaminated water leaking from the wrecked
reactors and could not afford time to stop the treatment machines to
change filters frequently.
“We had to prioritize processing large amounts of water as quickly as possible to reduce the overall risk,” Matsumoto said.
About 161,000 tons of the treated water has 10 to 100 times the limit
for release into the environment, and another 65,200 tons has up to
nearly 20,000 times the limit, TEPCO said.
Matsumoto said the plant will treat the water further to ensure contamination levels are reduced to allowable limits.
He was responding to growing public criticism and distrust about the status of the water.
More than 7 1/2 years since a massive March 2011 earthquake and tsunami
destroyed three reactors at the plant, Japan has yet to reach a
consensus on what to do with the radioactive water. Fishermen and
residents oppose its release into the ocean. Nuclear experts have
recommended the controlled release of the water into the Pacific as the
only realistic option.
The release option faced harsh criticism at town meetings in Fukushima
and Tokyo in late August, when TEPCO and government officials provided
little explanation of the water contamination, which had been reported
in local media days earlier.
TEPCO only says it has the capacity to store up to 1.37 million tons of
water through 2020 and that it cannot stay at the plant forever.
Some experts say the water can be stored for decades, but others say
the tanks take up too much space at the plant and could interfere with
ongoing decommissioning work, which could take decades